The Resource Teaching with the brain in mind, Eric Jensen, (electronic resource)
- Teaching with the brain in mind, Eric Jensen, (electronic resource)
- electronic resource
- Statement of responsibility
- Eric Jensen
- Bibliography note
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 163-179) and index
- Meet your amazing brain -- Basic brain anatomy. How the brain changes over time. Cooperation and competition in the brain. How the brain learns -- Preparing the brain for school -- What to do to get a child's brain ready for school. Sensitive periods in brain development. Developing social and emotional skills. The importance of nutrition. The dynamic teenage brain -- Rules we learn by -- Increasing student engagement. Variations on repetition. The importance of prior knowledge and mental models. Taking advantage of the body's natural rhythms. The role of hormones. Trial-and-error learning. How positive and negative emotions affect the brain -- Movement and learning -- The mind-body link. How exercise affects cognition. The importance of play, recess, and physical education -- Emotional states -- Why emotions are now "mainstream." How emotions are processed in the brain. The power of emotional states. How to influence emotional states -- Physical environments for learning -- Why research on the physical environment has spawned new interest among neuroscientists. How seating, temperature, lighting, noise, and overall building design affect learning. Factors to consider for designing smarter schools -- Managing the social brain -- How social interaction affects the brain and cognition. The impact of stress, bonding, bias, and peer pressure. How to make school a more positive social experience -- Motivation and engagement -- Common causes of demotivation. The brain's reaction to rewards. The nature of intrinsic motivation. Tools for motivation. The supercamp model -- Critical thinking skills -- How gender, culture, disorders, and life experience shape a unique brain. How the brain tackles problem solving. How the brain's maturation process affects learning. How the brain adapts to changing circumstances -- Memory and recall -- Links between memory and survival. How the brain encodes and maintains memory. The different kinds of memory. Ways to enhance memory retrieval -- Brain-based teaching -- What to do before, during, and after teaching to take full advantage of what we know about the brain and learning -- Schools with the brain in mind -- Connecting brain research to curriculum, assessment, and staff development -- Supporting good instruction and good instructors. Change with the brain in mind
- 2nd ed., rev. and updated.
- xi, 186 p.
- Form of item
- Other physical details
- Reproduction note
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, MI : ProQuest, 2015. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest affiliated libraries.
- Specific material designation
ContextContext of Teaching with the brain in mind, Eric Jensen, (electronic resource)
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Instance Teaching with the brain in mind, Eric Jensen, (electronic resource)
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.rpi.edu/resource/es_kvT1ycgg/" typeof="WorkExample http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Instance"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.rpi.edu/resource/es_kvT1ycgg/">Teaching with the brain in mind, Eric Jensen, (electronic resource)</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.rpi.edu/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.rpi.edu/">Rensselaer Libraries</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Rensselaer Libraries. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...