The Resource The state of humanity, edited by Julian L. Simon
- The state of humanity, edited by Julian L. Simon
- Statement of responsibility
- edited by Julian L. Simon
- Bibliography note
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- Introduction / Simon -- Human mortality throughout history and prehistory / Preston -- The decline of childhood mortality / Hill -- Disease and health through the ages / Haines -- The contribution of improved nutrition to the decline of mortality rates in Europe and America / Fogel -- Trends in health of the US population: 1957-89 / Crimmins & Ingegneri -- Mortality and health in the former Soviet Union / Feshbach -- Worldwide historical trends in murder and suicide / Chesnais -- The history of accident rates in the United States / Holen -- World trends in smoking / Brandt -- Long-term trends in the consumption of alcoholic beverages / Roberts -- Trends in the agricultural labor force / Sullivan --
- The standard of living through the ages / Burnette & Mokyr -- Long-term trends in the US standard of living / Lebergott -- Long-term trends in productivity / Atack -- The extent of slavery and freedom throughout the ages, in the world as a whole and in major subareas / Engerman -- Black Americans: income and standard of living from the days of slavery to the present / Higgs & Margo -- The long-term course of American inequality: 1647-1969 / Lindert & Williamson -- Trends in unemployment in the United States / Keyssar -- Trends in costs and quality of housing / Muth -- Trends in the quantities of education-USA and elsewhere / Simon & Boggs -- Trends in free time / Robinson -- Trends in poverty in the United States / Blank -- How "poor" are America's poor? / Rector --
- Homelessness in America / Filer -- The recent US economy / Reynolds -- Long-term trends in energy prices / Hausman -- Trends in the price and supply of oil / Adelman -- The costs of nuclear power / Cohen -- Trends in availability of non-fuel minerals / Myers, Moore & Simon -- Trends in nonrenewable resources / Goeller -- Trends in availability and usage of outdoor recreation / Nelson -- Global forests revisited / Sedjo & Clawson -- Species loss revisited / Simon & Wildavsky --
- Agricultural productivity before the green revolution / Grantham -- The world's rising food productivity / Avery -- Recent trends in food availability and nutritional well-being / Poleman -- Trends in grain stocks / Hudson -- Trends in food from the sea / Wise -- Trends in soil erosion and farmland quality / Gardner & Schulz -- Water, water everywhere but not a drop to sell / Anderson -- Trends in land use in the United States / Frey -- Long-run trends in environmental quality / Baumol & Oates -- Atmospheric pollution trends in the United Kingdom / Elsom -- Trends in air pollution in the United States / Ellsaesser -- Comparative trends in resource use and pollution in market and socialist economies / Bernstam --
- Acid rain / Kulp -- Stratospheric ozone: science and policy / Singer -- The greenhouse effect and global change: review and reappraisal / Michaels -- Greenhouse scenarios to inform decision makers / Lave -- The hazards of nuclear power / Cohen -- Pesticides, cancer, and misconceptions / Ames -- The carcinogen or toxin of the week phenomenon: the facts behind the scares / Whelan -- American public opinion: environment and energy / Lunch & Rothman -- Public opinion about, and media coverage of, population growth / Simon -- Risk within reason / Zeckhauser & Viscusi --
- 25 cm.
- viii, 694 p.
- Isbn Type
- (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Other physical details
ContextContext of The state of humanity, edited by Julian L. Simon
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Instance The state of humanity, edited by Julian L. Simon
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.rpi.edu/resource/-78lYJUHXuQ/" typeof="WorkExample http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Instance"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.rpi.edu/resource/-78lYJUHXuQ/">The state of humanity, edited by Julian L. Simon</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.rpi.edu/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.rpi.edu/">Rensselaer Libraries</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Rensselaer Libraries. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...